Stripping Cloth Diapers

About a month ago, I started to use up the stash of disposable diapers I had sitting around since October of last year. I figured I had better use them up (only needs diaper at night or trips out and about). There were 43 I believe, we are down to about a dozen now. One of the reasons I switched back to using them (besides we already bought them, they need to be used by someone anyways, destined to landfill either way) was because Thomas’ cloth diapers started to repel liquids. Every morning he was wet as well as all the bedding.

I had come to realize, with help from friends on other groups, that the diapers had formed a mineral buildup (from hard water) and the laundry detergents were not getting that off the inserts. If I put water on the insert, it would not soak into the pad. It actually just stayed on top, beaded water that would slide off when the pad was tipped. I will note, he has had no rashes, the inserts and everything else have been cleaned, no problems in that area.

I really did not want to switch back to using Tide. We have eliminated it and I did not want those chemicals back, or the scent that came with it! Blah!! I visited the Fluff University site online, and read the directions for stripping. Tide was the best option. But, determined, I tried what I already had.

I soaked the cloth diapers for 7 hours in hot, oxygen bleach water with Nature Clean Powdered detergent as well as Borax. Agitated the load every hour or more. I rinsed the load and let it sit in a cold load with oxygen bleach for 30 minutes, then put them on 3 wash cycles with detergent and Borax.

Sure enough . . . they were still repelling the water. What a waste! I was disappointed! So, Chris bought some Tide for me to use, Unscented though. No way could I deal with the scents! (I was in the attic the other day going through stored clothing and I could smell the Tide off them . . . so gross when one has been away from those smells).

So I did another strip wash like the above steps, but this time with the Tide unscented. The inserts came out mostly improved. Tonight I will try one on Thomas as a test, maybe they need to soak again, but there is definitely improvement, very little repelling.

Update. Thomas was dry this morning!! Yay!!!!!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *